On 6/7/2011 8:46 AM, Chris Gonnerman wrote:
On the 30th of May, I received an email from a man (I'll leave out his
name, but it was properly male) offering to translate the docs for the
gdmodule (which I maintain) into Belorussian. He wanted my approval, and
a link from my page to his. This seemed fair, so I told him to tell me
when it was ready.

This morning, I received an email from him that it was done. I looked at
the page, and it looked good. Of course, I don't read Belorussian, but
it had the right "shape" and linked to my downloads. But at the same
time, I received an email with a female sender name on it. It was worded
almost identically to the first email, but was offering to translate my
WConio page into Belorussian.

The Belorussian gdmodule page is here:

http://webhostingrating.com/libs/gdmodule-be

Now, webhostingrating.com is a site that rates web hosting providers,
and at least on the surface seems legitimate. I can't find any links
from their front page to the section with the Belorussian
translation(s), which strikes me odd.

What's going on here? Has anyone else been approached by these people?

It does seem odd. http://webhostingrating.com/libs is a listing of 3 similar translations (but not yours, which I presume should be included). So it seems that the site is being used for storage of files linked to from elsewhere. This is all disconnected from the front page. Question: is the storage done with permission or via hacking? The very bottom of the front page has a 'Contact Us' link. The contact page has address in Vienna and Moscow. The latter supports the idea that Russian translations are legit. But send a message explaining that you are the original author of one translated text and are being asked about another and ask if legit.

--
Terry Jan Reedy