On 6/21/2011 8:00 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
Terry Reedy<tjre...@udel.edu>  writes:
efficient implementation will allow a solution to be obtained on a
modestly powered computer in less than one minute."
If something really takes a minute in C,
allow yourself at least 10 minutes or even more with plain CPython.

No.

No what? My conditional statement is correct. It turns out not to apply here. Great.

The idea of the Euler problems is to think up sane algorithms to
solve them, not micro-optimize or use low level languages on crappy
algorithms.

      n=600851475143
      for d in xrange(2,n):
        if d*d>  n: break
           while n%d == 0: n //= d
      print n

finishes on my laptop with no noticable pause.

If the best C program for a problem takes 10 seconds or more, then applying the same 1 minute limit to Python is insane, and contrary to the promotion of good algorithm thinking.

--
Terry Jan Reedy