The reason they are slow and tedious is that they need to write to
every byte on the disk.  Depending on the size of the disk, there may
be a lot of data that needs to be written, and if they are older
computers, write speed may not be particularly fast.

-Chris

On 6/5/05, rbt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Roose wrote:
> > My guess would be: extremely, extremely easy.  Since you're only writing 30
> > bytes for each file, the vast majority of the data will still be present on
> > disk, just temporarily inaccessible because of the del command.  And more
> > than likely it will be possible to recover 100% if they are using a
> > journaling file system like NTFS, which Windows XP does.
> >
> > If you are honestly trying to destroy your own data, go out and download a
> > free program that will do it right.  If you're trying to write some kind of
> > trojan, well you've got a lot of learning to do.  :)
>
> Thanks for the opinion... I don't do malware. Just interested in
> speeding up file wiping (if possible) for old computers that will be
> auctioned. The boot programs that you allude to (killdisk, autoclave)
> work well, but are slow and tedious. If this can be done *properly* in
> Python, I'd like to have a go at it.
> --

Christopher Lambacher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]