On 23/06/2011 00:10, Neal Becker wrote:
Steven D'Aprano wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:28:23 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:

AFAICT, the python iterator concept only supports readable iterators,
not write. Is this true?

for example:

for e in sequence:
   do something that reads e
   e = blah # will do nothing

I believe this is not a limitation on the for loop, but a limitation on
the python iterator concept.  Is this correct?

Have you tried it? "e = blah" certainly does not "do nothing", regardless
of whether you are in a for loop or not. It binds the name e to the value
blah.

Yes, I understand that e = blah just rebinds e.  I did not mean this as an
example of working code.  I meant to say, does Python have any idiom that allows
iteration over a sequence such that the elements can be assigned?

[snip]
Python has references to objects, but not references to references.