On 07/06/2011 11:24 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 1:10 AM, rantingrick<rantingr...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Wow nice corner case. Can you come up with at least five of them
though? You and I both know that the vast majority of GUI's require
visible windows.

Five corner cases. Okay. One is xkill; if I can find four more, we run
out of corners and they're not corner cases any more - is that it?

1) See above.
2) Win2VNC. Doesn't actually paint a window on the screen, it just
watches where the mouse goes - move the mouse off the edge of the
screen, and it wraps and hides it. Very cool.
3) Firewall software with a graphical config notebook. I think
ZoneAlarm actually just hides its window, but that's not strictly
necessary. (My preferred firewall setup, though, has no GUI at all -
iptables etc is all I need.)
4) Clipboard Converter. An old app that I wrote a while ago that,
whenever you copy anything to the clipboard, runs it through a script
and puts the result back on the clipboard. Handier than you might
think.
5) Hotkey manager. It watches for keystrokes and replaces them with
other actions. Implemented as an input hook with injection facilities.

6) possibly xneko (just mouse-cursor amusements)

7) screen-shot/print-screen software (several such as "scrot" don't have an actual window, just a process that interacts with the other windows)

8) AutoHotkey and other keystroke-monitors (or mouse-gesture-monitors) to expand text, send key-sequences, launch programs, reconfigure windows, signal changes in display-configuration, etc

9) other clipboard utilities such as xclip or multi-clipboard functionality

10) DPMI screen-savers (that only listen for key/mouse activity and send a blank-screen signal to the monitor after a given period of inactivity)

I think there are sufficiently many edge cases this formerly-square room is starting to look round...

I regret that I am now in the position of following an awesome post
with a somewhat mediocre one. Steven, the Dead Window Sketch is
awesome!

agreed :)

-tkc