On 07/17/2011 08:01 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:
We don't have that problem any more.  It truly boggles my
mind that we're still churning out people with 80 column
minds.  I'm willing to entertain arguments about readability
of long lines, but the idea that there's something magic
about 80 columns is hogwash.

I agree! Which is why I set my line width to 78 columns.

Bah, when I started programming
on the Apple ][+, we had no
lower-case and a 40-column limit
on the TV display.
But you try and tell the young
people today that...
and they won't believe ya'.

-tkc

(expecting somebody to come back with a bit more retro-computing Four Yorkshiremen bit..."spinning 360k 5.25" floppy drives? We should be so lucky. I had to hand jump 2000-amp bits with only my tongue, for a CPU architecture invented by Navajo code-talkers...")