Andrew Berg wrote:
  * New path module will ONLY support one path sep! There is NO reason
 to support more than one. When we support more than one path sep we
 help to propagate multiplicity.We should only support the slash and
 NOT the backslash across ALL OS's since the slash is more widely
 accepted. If an OS does not have the capability to support only the
 slash then that OS is not worthy of a Python builtin module. The users
 of such OS will be responsible for managing their OWN os_legacy.path
 module. We are moving forward. Those who wish to wallow in the past
 will be left behind.

I actually agree with this. Like Timon once told Pumbaa, "Ya gotta put your behind in the past. . . "

The backslash sep is an asinine CPM/80 | DOS disk based carry-over which does not fit well with the modern forward direction. The disk based file system carry-over is bad enough; but, propagating multiple ways of doing simple things like specifying file-system paths is not helpful in any context.

The modern direction today (almost universally on the server-side) is to specify the path from the root "/" regardless of physical disk array geometries (or physical drives "C:\"). The forward slash actually makes some philosophical sense, and of course is more aesthetically pleasing.

So, let's put our behinds in the past and slash forward !

--
m harris

FSF  ...free as in freedom/
http://webpages.charter.net/harrismh777/gnulinux/gnulinux.htm