On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:13:10 -0700 (PDT), rantingrick
<rantingr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>If conciseness is all you seek then perhaps you prefer the following?
>
>ORIGINAL: "I used to wear wooden shoes"
>CONCISE:  "I wore wooden shoes"

>ORIGINAL: "I have become used to wearing wooden shoes"
>CONCISE:  "I like wearing wooden shoes"

>However as you can see much of the rich information is missing.

Indeed. Neither of your two concise examples has the same meaning of the
originals.

>Good communication requires that we use clear and articulate words (and
>phrases) that will re-create a similar thought (if not perfect clone of!)
>in the mind of your listener[s].

Different phrasings of all but the most basic sentences often have subtle
differences of meaning which native speakers intend and understand. 1984 has
been and gone. Shame on you!

DaveM