You can get a lot done, if not everything, with a simple editor however for me an IDE is awesome for digging around in the django internals to see how it all works.

I used PyDev initially then onto emacs but finally I settled on PyCharm - it's just like PyDev except that everything works.

Stuart

I like Aptana Studio
http://www.aptana.com/products/studio3