On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:29:26 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> I suppose "one class per file" might be useful for those using an editor
> with no search functionality. Other than that, is there any justification
> for this rule? Any Java fans want to defend this?

Not a Java fan, but:

The Java compiler also acts as a "make" program. If it doesn't find
a .class file for a needed class, it will search for the corresponding
.java file and compile that. So to compile a complex program, you only
need to compile the top-level file (e.g. HelloWorld.java), and it will
compile everything which is required. No Makefile is needed, as the
relationship between classes, object files and source files is fixed.