On 2011-09-11 02:50, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
I replied to that one off list I guess, but I figured Django was way more overhead than I wanted, doesn't really fit with solving the speed issue.

Depending on your needs, you may find something like bottle or Flask a better choice then.

Django can be scaled down a lot, but it's a full-featured framework at its heart. Bottle is pretty minimal (IIRC it doesn't even come with any templating). Flask is somewhere in between as it bundles Werkzeug (a pure WSGI framework) with Jinja (a template library) with some glue code.

I have used Flask in the past but often found myself implementing half of Django anyway, which is why I eventually switched. When I only need a bare API with no database and without templates, I usually go for Bottle these days.

If you feel like coding closer to the metal and care more about performance than readability, you might also find Twisted useful.