On 11/12/11 05:56, candide wrote:
First, could you confirm the following syntax

import foo as f

equivalent to

import foo
f = foo

and the issuing "del foo"

Now, I was wondering about the usefulness in everyday programming of the
as syntax within an import statement. Here are some instances retrieved
from real code of such a syntax

import numpy as np
import math as _math
import pickle as pickle

-- In the last case, I can see no point

Without context, I'm guessing the last one is merely keeping parity in a block that reads:

  try:
    import cPickle as pickle
  except ImportError:
    import pickle as pickle

So what is the pragmatics of the as syntax ?

The most common use-case I see is your first: to shorten a frequently-used namespace. I do this frequently with

  import Tkinter as tk

which makes it obvious where things are coming from. I hate trying to track down variable-names if one did something like

  from Tkinter import *

The second big use case I see regularly is the full example (above): try to import a faster/native module that shares an interface with a pure-python implementation. However in the above, the "import pickle as pickle" is a uselessly redundant.

-tkc