On 18/11/2011 04:34, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:18:11 -0800 (PST), John Ladasky
<lada...@my-deja.com>  declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

I'm trying to write tidy, modular code which includes a long-running process.
From time to time I MIGHT like to check in on the progress being made by that
long-running process, in various ways.  Other times, I'll just want to let it
run.  So I have a section of code which, generally, looks like this:

def _pass(*args):
     pass

        This is the equivalent of

def _pass(*args):
        return None

Wouldn't "pass_" be a more Pythonic name?

(functions with no explicit return statement implicitly return None)

def long_running_process(arg1, arg2, arg_etc, report = _pass):
     result1 = do_stuff()
     report(result1)

        So this is a call to a function that just returns a None, which is
dropped by the interpreter...