2011/11/21  <ml...@nocturnal.org>:
> I'm working on a project where I need to communicate with some devices via
> modem which have the possibility of using MARK and SPACE parity.  These are
> not defined by POSIX and therefore are not directly supported under Linux.
>
> I've found the following discussion on the topic:
>
> http://www.lothosoft.ch/thomas/libmip/markspaceparity.php
>
> and I have been trying to use this information (since the TERMIOS module is
> available) to proceed with the communication.
>
> I was able to use minicom to determine that the first device I started
> testing with uses 7M1 but cannot figure out how to implement the solution
> described by the author above.

"The modes 7M1 (7 data bits, MARK parity, 1 stop bit) and 7S1 (7 data
bits, SPACE parity, 1 stop bit) can easily be emulated using 8N1 (0
data bits, NO parity, 1 stop bit) and setting the 8th data bit to 1
resp. 0. This is relatively simple to implement and cannot be
distinguished by the receiver."

It means that 7M1 === 8N1. Set 8N1 mode on your side and 7M1 on the
other side. I really do not understand what is the reason to have
dedicated 7M1 or 7S1 mode - it is no different from regular 8 bit mode
from the hardware point of view. From the software point of view it is
just the matter of the definition of the highest bit. In other words,
7M1/7S1 are two complementary subsets of a single 8N1 set.

HTH