Am 25.11.2011 04:49, schrieb alex23:
On Nov 24, 6:51 pm, Tim Golden<m...@timgolden.me.uk>  wrote:
The Ctrl-Z thing is what *exits* the interpreter on Windows
(a la Ctrl-D on Linux).

With ActivePython, Ctrl-D works as well, which is a godsend as I'm
constantly working across Windows&  linux.

In short - on Windows, within one cmd shell you can open and exit
the interpreter as many times as you like and the Python command
history will be retained via the cmd shell's history mechanism,
and kept distinct from the history of other things you may type
into the cmd shell.

And again, I'm definitely not seeing this. Inside the one cmd shell,
each instance of Python has no recollection of the history of the
last.

I'm seeing history browsing in Python on MS Windows XP here and it also works for every other commandline-based program. Well, it seems with the exception of the ActivePython distribution of Python. That one intentionally changes the MS Windows defaults like Control-Z behaviour and at the same time, maybe even as a side effect, it breaks the shell's history browsing.

You don't happen to have an installation of the vanilla Python distribution to test, do you? This is getting me curious...

Uli