On 30/11/2011 11:12 AM, Nairn, Bruce wrote:
Hi,

I’m trying to move some code to a Windows Server 2008 machine. It runs
on Windows 7 and XP, but fails on Windows Server 2008. The python
installation is seemingly identical (python 2.6.4, 32 bit). The
following replicates the problem:

import pythoncom

IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance (‘OPC.Automation’, None,
pythoncom.CLSCTX_SERVER, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)

On Windows 7 x64 or Windows XP x32:

this returns an PyIDispatch object

On Windows Server 2008 x64 this gives:

com_error: (-2147221005, ‘Invalid class string’, None, None)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

The OPC.Automation object isn't installed on the Server 2008 box. I'm not sure what this object is so can't advise on how to install it. Note also that you will need the same "bittedness" of the object as Python itself has - ie, assuming a 32bit Python, you need the 32bit implementation of the COM object, or if a 64bit Python, you need the 64bit COM object. Note that both the 32 and 64bit versions of both will work fine on a 64bit version of Windows - you just need to make sure they match.

Mark