On 12/23/11 06:06, Ben Finney wrote:
Cameron Simpson<c...@zip.com.au>  writes:
On 23Dec2011 17:12, Ben Finney<ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au>
wrote: | That doesn't address the concern Tim raised: did
the user actually do | anything, did the file change?

I'm not sure it matters.

I know of numerous applications where it matters, spcifically
ones which decide what to do with the edited text. Including
“submit a bug report” and “submit a wiki page edit” and “send
an email message”.

If the buffer was not edited, the user has most likely changed
their mind about editing at all, and there are many
applications where the correct default action differes
depending on whether the user actually changed anything in the
text.

Yes, Ben's understanding is correct here, that for some of my use-cases, it's helpful to know if the user did anything. The application can then decide whether it should use the original data it passed to the function, or whether it should go some "abort what you're doing" route.

-tkc