On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 9:33 AM, W. eWatson <wolftra...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Well, thing went slightly awry. The link gave me two choices. Download
> msv...dll fixer, and download fixer. I took the latter. However, just
> checking on the other one, found that I got the same exe file. I installed
> it on the XP PC, and pressed what looked like a reasonable place to start.
> It would download the dll, and register it.
>
> Well, it seemed more interested in the registry. It scanned four areas of
> the registry, and found 123 problems in total. To fix them would require
> buying something.
>
> I noticed a large button near the top that said download dll. It found one
> the internet, and guess what? More purchase for the download.
>
> It seems like dll-fixer has a corner on the market.

Definitely don't download that spamware fixer program -- who knows
what that does?  You want the grey "Download zip-file" link, not the
not the flashy "Download fixer" ad links.  Anyway, it sounds like
you've found another copy of the DLL.

If I were you, I would uninstall that fixer ASAP and then run an
anti-malware and anti-virus tool or two, just in case.

> Run the sfc /scannow System File Checker command to replace a missing or
> corrupt copy of the msvcp71.dll file. If this DLL file is provided my
> Microsoft, the System File Checker tool should restore it.

I don't believe it is provided by Microsoft, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

> A new dilemma. The PC XP in question with Python has the the msvcp71.dll
> file in System32. The one I took off my other laptop has a slightly newer
> one. Feb 2003 vs Aug 2003.

Weird.  Try registering the existing dll, try replacing it with the
other one (be sure to back up the original first), etc.