On 1/23/12 21:57 , Rick Johnson wrote:

Here is a grep from the month of September 2011 showing the rampantly
egregious misuse of the following words and phrases:

  * pretty
  * hard
  * right
  * used to
  * supposed to

"Pretty" is the most ludicrous of them all! As you will see, "pretty"
is used superfluously, over and over again! In fact, you could safely
omit "pretty" without sacrificing any meaning of most all the
sentences that include the word "pretty". Likewise, in 99% of the
examples, the word "difficult" can be substituted for the word "hard"
without sacrificing any meaning. Same for "correct" and "right". Of
course, "used to" and "supposed to" will require people to rethink
there lazy and slothful ways.

I disagree on all points.

"Pretty" means "mostly". The difference in meaning is significant. "I'm sure" is definitive. "I'm pretty sure" leaves room for variation.

My dictionary lists "arduous" as the second, (of 17), definitions for "hard".

etc.

--rich