On 2/12/12 6:41 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
This is only peripherally a Python problem, but in case anyone has any
good ideas I'm going to ask it.

I have a routine to calculate an approximation of Lambert's W function,
and then apply a root-finding technique to improve the approximation.
This mostly works well, but sometimes the root-finder gets stuck in a
cycle.

I don't have any advice for fixing your code, per se, but I would just grab mpmath and use their lambertw function:

http://mpmath.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/build/functions/powers.html#lambert-w-function

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."