Ben Finney wrote:
Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> writes:

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

If you're pleased to announce their immediate availability, then
please do that!
Isn't it perfectly accurate to say that the RCs are now available?

Yes. What's not reasonable is to say that a candidate for release – i.e.
something *prior to* release, by definition – is nevertheless released.

Considering that "Release candidates" immediately followed "RELEASED"
in the subject line, I don't see any confusion.

Unless “release candidate” means nothing like what those words imply, it
can't be both a release candidate *and* released.

Either it's released, or it's not. If it's a release candidate, it's not
released yet. If it's released, it's no longer a candidate for release.

Saying it's simultaneously both is the confusion.

What sort of release can you release ? A release candidate. If you can release a release candidate, a release candidate can be released, hence the released candidate release.

More important, we all thank the release team for their efforts and hope they're having fun reading us :o)

JM