On 3/2/2012 14:12, Xah Lee wrote:
On Mar 1, 3:00 am, Kiuhnm<kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it>  wrote:
They did not make up the terminology, if that is what you are saying.
The concepts of left and right associativity are well-known and accepted
in TCS (Theoretical CS).

Aho, Sethi and Ullman explain it this way in "Compilers: Principles,
Techniques and Tools":
"We say that the operator + associates to the left because an operand
with plus signs on both sides of it is taken by the operator to its
left. [...]"
And they also show parse trees similar to the ones I wrote above.

how do they explain when 2 operators are adjacent e.g. 「3 △ 6 ▲ 5 」?

The same way you do, I guess. An operand that has operators on both sides is operand of the operator of higher precedence.
For instance, in
  3 * 4 + 6
4 is operand of * but not of +.
Indeed, the operands of + are 3*4 and 6.

do you happen to know some site that shows the relevant page i can
have a look?

Nope, sorry.

Kiuhnm