On 4/15/2012 4:01 PM, Bryan wrote:

On Windows the file extension determines what executable opens the
file. Running both Python 2 and Python 3 on Windows is painful where
it doesn't need to be. I'd like to encourage my users to check out
Python 3, but installing it on Windows will take over the '.py'
extension and break stuff that currently works.

There used to be an option to not do that, but it seems to have either be removed or hidden. I admit that telling people to re-install 2.7 (or whatever), just to recapture the file extension, is a nuisance. The new PEP397 runner seems to be a better solution.

The file extension default should work with the the recommended
transition method,

There is no single recommended transition method at present.

which is not dual-major-version code.

The acceptance of irrelevant 'u' prefixes for strings in 3.3 is de facto acceptance of that as *one* recommended method.

--
Terry Jan Reedy