On 05/04/2012 12:58 AM, Russ P. wrote:
Yeah, I realized that I should rephrase my previous statement to
something like this:

For any *empirical* engineering or scientific work, I'd say that a
condition number of 1e6 is likely to be unacceptable.

Still, I don't understand it. Do you have an example of this kind of work, if it's not FEM?

I'd put finite elements into the category of theoretical and numerical
rather than empirical. Still, a condition number of 1e6 would bother
me, but maybe that's just me.

Ok, but I just don't understand what's in the "empirical" category, sorry...

Maybe the conclusion is just that if cond(A) > 1e15 or 1e16, then that problem shouldn't be solved and maybe this is also approx. where matlab has it's warning-threshold (maybe, I'm just guessing here)... So, maybe I could perhaps use that limit in my future python program (when I find out how to get the condition number etc, but I assume this can be googled for with no problems)...