Hi there,

I am working with mass spectroscopy data in the mzXML format that looks like
this:
<mzXML>
    <msRun>
      <scan num="1">...</scan>
      <scan num="2">...</scan>
      <scan num="3">...</scan>
      <scan num="4">...</scan>
    </msRun>
        <offset id="1">160409990</offset>
        <offset id="2">160442725</offset>
        <offset id="3">160474927</offset>
        <offset id="4">160497386</offset>
</mzXML>

Where the offset element contains the byte offset of the scan element that
shares the id. I am trying to write a python script to remove scan elements and
their respective offset, but I can't figure out how I re-calculate the byte
offset for each remaining element once the elements have been removed.

My plan was to write the file out, the read it back in again and search through
the file for a particular string (e.g. '<scan num="1">') and then use the
tell() method to return the current byte location in the file. However, I'm not
sure how I would implement this.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ben