MRAB wrote:
On 27/06/2012 18:33, subhabangal...@gmail.com wrote:
Dear Group,
I am Sri Subhabrata Banerjee writing from India. I am running a small
program which exploits around 12 1 to 2 KB .txt files. I am using MS
Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Python 2.6 where IDLE is GUI. The text
is plain ASCII text. The RAM of the machine is around 2 GB. To run
the program the machine is becoming dead slow and it is executing
only after several minutes. I am shocked as I have run hugely loaded
Statistical Learning stuff only on 516MB RAM on Python using Windows
XP only. And that too on a laptop. I am not getting. I discussed the
issue with my system administrator and he increased the RAM to 8GB
result improved by 30% but not satisfactory speed. May any one
suggest me what may be the likely issue?

Could you post the program here (you say that it's small) so that we
can see what you're trying to do.
Additionaly, you may want to look at http://docs.python.org/library/profile.html You may spot quite quickly where your program is dying. It's worth the try, it's doesn't take long to setup the profile.

JM