On Friday, July 13, 2012 8:00:05 PM UTC-5, gelonida wrote:
> I just want to use a beep command that works cross platform. [...] I
> just want to use them as alert, when certain events occur within a
> very long running non GUI application.

I can see a need for this when facing a non GUI interface. But even "IF" you do
manage to play a sound in a cross platform manner; if the speaker volume is too
low, or the speakers are turned off, or the computer does not have speakers
connected, etc... your user will never hear the alert! In this case, beeping
the built-in speaker has the fail-safe advantage.

Why not wrap up the functionality and release a module yourself? If you are not
sure how to access the speaker on one or more OSs then ask on the list. I would
love to see some community effort behind this.

PS: Better make sure this module does not exist though ;-)