Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:19:16 -0600, Ian Kelly wrote:
On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
(For the record, I can only think of one trap for the unwary: time
objects are false at *exactly* midnight.)

Ugh, that's irritating.  I can't think of any scenario where I would
ever want the semantics "if timeval (is not midnight):".

Yes, it is a genuine gotcha. Time values are numbers, and zero is falsey, so midnight is falsey even though it shouldn't be.

There's no good solution here, since we have a conflict between treating time values as time values ("midnight is nothing special") and as numbers ("midnight == 0 which is falsey").

--> import datetime
--> mn = datetime.time(0)
--> mn
datetime.time(0, 0)
--> mn == 0
False

Apparently, midnight does not equal zero. Possibly because it should be truthy. ;)

~Ethan~