On 29/07/2012 14:36, Robert Marshall wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, python.l...@tim.thechases.com wrote:

On 07/29/12 05:28, Mark Lawrence wrote:
On 29/07/2012 06:08, Ben Finney wrote:
Tim Chase <python.l...@tim.thechases.com> writes:
Learn one of Emacs or Vim well, and you won't need to worry
about text editors again.

Point taken, snag being I've never used any nix box in anger.
This thread reminds of the good 'ole days when I were a lad using
TPU on VMS. Have we got any VMS aficionados here?

Though I'm personally far more vitriolic about VMS vs $OS (had a few
souring experiences with VMS in college) than I am regarding Vim vs.
Emacs, you can get Vim for at least OpenVMS:

http://www.vim.org/download.php#others

I presume sources compile fairly well on other flavors of VMS if
needed, and I'd expect Emacs can do likewise[1]

I used to use tpu (used to have piles of tpu macros..) and I first got used
to emacs by using its tpu mode - I see that still exists so you can use
emacs and pretend it is really tpu!

Robert

Well knock me down with a feather, clevor Trevor[1], might have to give that a go, thanks.

[1] Ian Dury and the Blockheads album New Boots and Panties, song called Clevor Trevor for those of you who clearly lack a suitable education :)

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.