On 1/08/2012 10:48 AM, Damon Register wrote:
I am attempting to build gtk and glade using mingw/msys.  It seems that
some
of the packages require python.  I installed 2.7.3 using the installer from
python.org.  That worked for some of the packages but now I am trying to do
one that needs python-config which I don't find in the installation
directory.

I tried building from source using mingw/msys but that had too many
problems
so I gave up on that.  I thought I might try building with MSVC 2010 since
it appears to be supported and I have that at work.  There are a few
problems
with this:
1. though I have looked in a few readme files, I don't see instructions for
    installing what I have just built using MSVC.  Where can I find the
    instructions for installing after building with MSVC?

There is no such process. In general, you can just run directly from the built tree.

2. I have searched the project directory but I don't find
python-config.  Is
    this some sort of optional thing that isn't built by default?  I tried
    searching this list and although I find a few questions about it, I
don't
    see an answer to where I can find it.

I'm afraid I don't know what python-config is. It appears it might be a reflection of how Python was configured and build on *nix systems - if that is the case then it is expected that one does not exist for Windows (as it doesn't use the *nix build chain).

3. It seems that MSVC doesn't produce the .a library files needed for
linking
    into a mingw built program.  Do I have to do that fun trick to
create the
    .a from the dll?

I'm surprised MSVC *can* build .a files for mingw - but AFAIK, even if MSVC could do that, I believe Python makes no attempt to build with support for linking into mingw programs.

Mark