Hi Michael,

On 08/07/2012 08:43 AM, Michael Poeltl wrote:
in my opinion, "without importing it" makes it unnecessarily complicated.

It does, but I think this is what I want, thus my question.
I tried to keep my question simple without explaining too much.

Well now here's a little more context.

There's two reasons why I sepcified the without importing it.
Some modules may have side effects when being imported,and sometimes I just want to check for a module's existence

Second:
Sometimes I only want to know, whether a module exists.
I do not want to know whether a module is syntactically correct or whether a module if imported is capable of
importing all it's submodules

What I'd like to achieve at the moment is to distinguish three situations:
- a module with a given name does not exist
- a module with a given name exists and produces errors (might be ImportErors)
- a module with a given name exists and can be imported

In fact what I really want to achieve is:
import a module if it exists (and fail if it is broken)
if it doesn't exist import a 'default' module and go on.

The name of the module is stored in a variable and is not known prior to running the script so the code, that you suggested would be something like.

modulename = 'my.module'
cmd = 'import %s as amodule'
try:
    exec(cmd)
    print "imported successfully"
except ImportError:
   print "module doesn't exist or the module tries to " \
            "import another module that doesn't exist"
   # if the module doesn't exist I'd like to import a 'fallback' module
   # otherwise I'd like to abort.
except Exception as exc:
    print "module exists, but is broken"
    raise exc

amodule.do_something()

You just want to know it module xyz exists, or better said can be found
(sys.path).

why not try - except[ - else ]

try:
     import mymodule
except ImportError:
     #  NOW YOU KNOW it does not exist
     #+ and you may react properly
??
* Gelonida N <gelon...@gmail.com> [2012-08-06 22:49]:
Is this possible.

let's say I'd like to know whether I could import the module
'mypackage.mymodule', meaning,
whther this module is located somewhere in sys.path

i tried to use

imp.find_module(), but
it didn't find any module name containing a '.'

Am I doing anything wrong?

Is there another existing implementation, that helps.

I could do this manually, but this is something I'd just like to do
if necessary.