On 18/08/2012 16:07, wxjmfa...@gmail.com wrote:
Le samedi 18 août 2012 14:27:23 UTC+2, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
[...]
The problem with UCS-4 is that every character requires four bytes.
[...]

I'm aware of this (and all the blah blah blah you are
explaining). This always the same song. Memory.

Let me ask. Is Python an 'american" product for us-users
or is it a tool for everybody [*]?
Is there any reason why non ascii users are somehow penalized
compared to ascii users?

This flexible string representation is a regression (ascii users
or not).

I recognize in practice the real impact is for many users
closed to zero (including me) but I have shown (I think) that
this flexible representation is, by design, not as optimal
as it is supposed to be. This is in my mind the relevant point.

[*] This not even true, if we consider the €uro currency
symbol used all around the world (banking, accounting
applications).

jmf

Sorry but you've got me completely baffled. Could you please explain in words of one syllable or less so I can attempt to grasp what the hell you're on about?

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.