On 10/1/2012 1:32 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:06:04 -0400, Edward Diener
<eldiener@tropicsoft.invalid> declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

My thought is a program distributed by Python which finds the versions
of Python on an OS, lets the end-user choose which version should be
invoked when Python is invoked, and does whatever is necessary to make
that version the default version.

        Which wouldn't be usable on any system that has to boot/process
unattended, and run's Python scripts for configuration set-up.

I can understand that but my use of Python on Windows is not that case. I simply want to be able to choose which version of Python runs when it is invoked, when I have multiple versions installed. Surely that is a very common case for end-users running 'python' or invoking some script which is associated with python.

        Making a version "default" pretty much means being able to rewrite
the PATH environment variable... And I've seen too many messes made by
some software already (including once having two generations of Python
showing up in one PATH!)

The PATH environment is constantly changing whether in Linux or Windows. Claiming that this is too dangerous" is silly.