On 10/16/12 12:27 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:30:01 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

I'm working with the readline module, and I'm trying to set a key
combination to process the current command line by calling a known
function, *and* enter the command line.

Something along the lines of:

* execute function spam() in some context where it can access
   the current command line as a string
* enter the command line

Function spam() may or may not modify the command line.

(P.S. I'm aware of IPython, I want to get this working in the standard
CPython interpreter.)

If IPython does what you want why don't you have a look at the source?

Well, I was hoping for a pure Python solution, rather than having to
troll through who knows how many thousands of lines of code in a language
I can barely read.

Are you confusing IPython, the pure Python REPL for CPython, for IronPython, the C# implementation of Python?

  https://github.com/ipython/ipython

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."