On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Prasad, Ramit
<ramit.pra...@jpmorgan.com> wrote:
> David Hutto wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Demian Brecht <demianbre...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > * Your strength is not design. Using bevel and emboss (and a pattern here
>> > and there) does not constitute good
>> design.
>>
>> It's simplicity within a symbolism, and now that I need money for
>> medical reasons, the work I've done isn't perfect, but it's on par.
>>
>> I know when I see something aesthetically pleasing, and if I like what
>> I have, I'm using the same mindset.
>>
>> If you're showcasing logo work, I hope you're ready to supply
>> variations that can be used cross-medium.

Well, all of these are my domain names, and works in
progress/revision. The client would get several versions, and know
what they want me to do, I just have to be able to do it for them, and
add in a little extra to show my worth to them.

>> These are all portfolio sites of my own, and I'm slowly revising them,
>> just like any other rough draft, and as you can tell I'm asking other
>> people to critique it.
>>

> Aesthetics and web design are relative to the eye of the beholder.

It's a statistic. I see things that lots of others like, so when I
design, I say tomyself do I like that enough? But it's always in
revision for perfection of the piece being worked on, just like apps
have revisions, so do logos and artwork.

> The question is whose opinion matters. Yours? Mine? Others? Personally,
> I heartily second the recommendation to get professional advice on site
> design. Your site reminds me of something I would create in the '90s
> with FrontPage (do people even use that anymore?) as an amateur or
> hobbyist; not something I would create as a professional attempting
> to market my services.

I'm moving toward the smaller devices, but I'm a desktop guy, and so
are a lot of others. And what site doesn't have a frontpage?

> Now I do not say this in order to be mean, but to provide constructive
> criticism. Not because I do not like the site; but because I think
> *other* people will not like the site layout and ultimately my opinion
> does not matter; it matters what your prospective clients think.
That goes back to stats. You might not be the demographic I attract,
but others will like it...hopefully

That
> is unless you can afford to turn away business by sticking to your
> design principles.

No, the client is the main opinionator. If they like some of my stuff,
and have an idea they need implemented, I just showcae I can do it.

> Several top level links did not work and that is a bad sign for a
> portfolio. At the very least, take a few minutes to setup a blank page

I thought there were blank pages, and within the next week or so,
there will be more. I'm looking toward other programmers for peer
review to refine my main site.

> so the visitor does not get a 404 error. The background of your logo
> page should match the color scheme of the rest of the website. Oh,
> and your logo for your main page is incomprehensible to me. I am not
> sure if it is a artistic design or some text, but it is too hard to make
> out.
>
> It is hard to say much more since the site is so bare. I will reiterate
> what others have said regarding background sounds (especially ones that
> start by default). If you take a look at some famous websites and you will
> notice that they rarely have sound and for good reason.

It's more of a commercial to me. In the end it doesn't show the
webcrawlers for SEO my text, and it's a rough draft. It'll eventually
be just a banner ad, and there will be a more static design.

> Another thing to note is wasted space. Network bandwidth is a commodity.
> You pay for it and your visitor pays for it. You pay for it in terms of
> hosting or internet service while the visitor pays for it in internet
> service and possibly even in their data cap. I cannot imagine loading
> your website from a phone (nor would I ever try to).
>
> You want to be as efficient as possible. Have you ever taken a look at
> Google's home page source? Now they are an extreme example of keeping a site
> lean, but maybe that will give you an idea of how important it is. An overly
> giant GIF and sound files are poor choices. It should be easy to compress the
> GIF to a *much* smaller file size while keeping the animation. You can
> probably use a midi file for the same effect with regards to sounds

I'm working on the reduction right now, and that's the reason for
asking for reviews.
.

> I hope that helps,

Don't worry, it does.