On 7 November 2012 22:16, Joshua Landau <joshua.landau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 November 2012 14:00, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7 November 2012 13:39, Joshua Landau <joshua.landau...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> Exponentiation is expected to be asymmetric and is currently unused so
>> there is no ambiguity. The problem is if someone has already
>> subclassed list and added an exponentiation method.
>
> How is that a problem? They just wont get the functionality.

This is absolutely contrived but:
Library A defines a subclass of list that adds an exponentiation
operator thinking that it's okay to still use these objects as lists.
Library B has an API that expects a list and tries to use the list
copy-exponentiation on its input. A user passes a list type object
from library A into library B and hopefully gets an error but possibly
gets a subtle bug that is hard to track down.

It doesn't sound plausible to me but at least in principle there is a
backward compatibility problem.

> That said, losing:
> would mean losing duck-typing in general. *Thus*, I fully agree with your
> choice of exponentiation.

Also there's no reason why tuples couldn't have the same
exponentiation operator (although for them it would be no different
from repeated multiplication).

Oscar