On 11/23/2012 11:22 AM, Joel Goldstick wrote:

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Michael Herrmann
<michael.herrm...@getautoma.com <mailto:michael.herrm...@getautoma.com>>
wrote:

    Hi,

    do you think it's bad style to override the built-in function
    `type`? I'm co-developing a GUI automation library called Automa
    (http://www.getautoma.com) and 'type' would be a very fitting name
    for a function that generates artificial key strokes.

Personally, I think this is a horrible idea.  On this list and the tutor
list, people often use variable names that are already defined in the
language.  It leads to non obvious errors -- especially when revisting
old code.  Why not call the thing 'key_stroke'?

I agree.

--
Terry Jan Reedy