On 11/22/2012 06:22 PM, Thomas Bach wrote:
I am using virtual environments and do a

python setup.py develop

on each package. This just creates a symbolic link to the package and
all edits show up immediately.

That's awesome; I didn't know about the 'develop' command. Thanks!

Is that just a setuptools thing, or can you do it with distutils too? I didn't see anything too promising so I'm not so hopeful, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I'm also pretty confused about the distutils/setuptools/distribute/distutils2 landscape and what the differences are (at least between the first 3) and what their relationships with standard Python are.

(I'd prefer to use distutils because (1) it ships with Python as opposed to being something extra to install (2) setuptools annoys me being the only think I can remember that, when you tell it to install to a prefix that doesn't exist, says "you want me to MAKE DIRECTORIES?! what are you, some kind of slave driver?!". Admittedly that second reason is not so rational and very occasionally putting up with that in exchange for development mode is plenty worth it, but being able to shun setuptools would make me feel good. :-))

Evan