* Wolfgang Keller [2012-11-25 20:48 +0100]:
I am the lone developer of db apps at a company of 350+ employees.
Everything is done in MS Access 2010 and VBA. I'm frustrated with the
limitations of this platform and have been considering switching to
Python.

I've been experimenting with the language for a year or so,
and feel comfortable with the basics.

I am concerned that I'll have a hard time replacing the access form
and report designers. I've worked a little with TKinter, but it's a
far cry from the GUI designer in Access.

The list of Python frameworks for rapid development of desktop
(i.e. non-Web) database applications currently contains:

using PyQt (& Sqlalchemy):
Pypapi: www.pypapi.org
Camelot: www.python-camelot.com
Qtalchemy: www.qtalchemy.org

using PyGTK:
Sqlkit: sqlkit.argolinux.org (also uses Sqlalchemy)
Kiwi: www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi

using wxPython:
Dabo: www.dabodev.com
Defis: sourceforge.net/projects/defis (Russian only)
GNUe: www.gnuenterprise.org

Pypapi, Camelot, Sqlkit and Dabo seem to be the most active and best
documented/supported ones.

I'd like to add to the list
     Tryton http://www.tryton.org/

Which framework can be used to create a business application without
even using the already existing modules (one of our customer uses only
the 'party' modules in order to manage insurance products, the GNU
Health (http://www.gnuhealth.org/) project uses more official modules
to create their HIS software).

Reporting is done through relatorio (http://relatorio.openhex.org/),
which uses ODF templates to generate ODF reports (or other format
thanks to unoconv) the client is written in GTk (we're writing one in
JavaScript right now (and I miss python badly)).

--
(°> Nicolas Évrard
( ) Liège