On 2012-12-17 22:00, Dave Angel wrote:
On 12/17/2012 04:33 PM, Mitya Sirenef wrote:
On 12/17/2012 01:30 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
On 12/17/12 11:43, Mitya Sirenef wrote:
On 12/17/2012 12:27 PM, Gnarlodious wrote:
Hello. What I want to do is delete every dictionary key/value
of the name 'Favicon' regardless of depth in subdicts, of which
there are many. What is the best way to do it?
Something like this should work:

def delkey(d, key):
      if isinstance(d, dict):
          if key in d: del d[key]
          for val in d.values():
              delkey(val, key)
Unless you have something hatefully recursive like

   d = {}
   d["hello"] = d

:-)

True -- didn't think of that..!

I guess then adding a check 'if val is not d: delkey(val, key)'
would take care of it?

No, that would only cover the self-recursive case.  If there's a dict
which contains another one, which contains the first, then the recursion
is indirect, and much harder to check for.

Checking reliably for arbitrary recursion patterns is tricky, but
do-able.  Most people degenerate into just setting an arbitrary max
depth.  But I can describe two approaches to this kind of problem.

Wouldn't a set of the id of the visited objects work?