(original post from planetthoughtful didn't seem to arrive here, so replying to Bob's reply)

Newbie to Python, and I'm wondering if it's possible to create a
Python console app that prompts for further input on the command
line when run (in Windows XP, if that's important)?

While Bob's suggestion of "cliff" sounds interesting, Python also offers the "cmd" module[1] in the standard library which does most of what I've needed in the past. If you've got the readline library available, it also supports autocompletion and command-line history which is a nice bonus.

-tkc

[1]
http://docs.python.org/2/library/cmd.html # py2.x
http://docs.python.org/3/library/cmd.html # py3.x