On Monday, January 28, 2013 11:30:47 AM UTC-5, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 01/28/2013 10:47 AM, Wanderer wrote:
>
> > I'm looking to make a WLAN tester for a manufacturing test. Something that
> > could send and receive a bunch of files and measure how long it took. I
> > would repeat this a number of times for a device under test and then use
> > some metric to decide pass/fail and create a report. What libraries are
> > available for Python for communicating with networks? My google searches
> > have been disappointing. I'd prefer to do this in Windows but I'll consider
> > Linux if that is the better option.
>

> > Thanks
>

> For what version of Python?
>

> Depending on what's at the far end of your connection, you may not need
>
> to do much at all.  For example, if you have an ftp server, check out
>
>      http://docs.python.org/2/library/ftplib.html
>

> in the standard library.
>

> Since you're doing performance testing, be aware that it's quite tricky
>
> to get meaningful results.    For example, some connections have a
>
> satellite link in them, and thus have very long latency.  A simple
>
> protocol will go very slowly in such a case, but most downloaders will
>
> open multiple sockets, and do many transfers in parallel.  So you could
>
> either measure the slow way or the fast way, and both numbers are
>
> meaningful.
>

> Of course, it's more than a  2-way choice.  Some protocols will compress
>
> the data, send it, and decompress it on the other end.  Others (like the
>
> one rsync uses) will evaluate both ends, and decide which (if any) files
>
> need to be transferred at all.  I believe it also does partial file
>
> updates if possible, but I'm not at all sure about that.
>

> Naturally, the throughput will vary greatly from moment to moment, and
>
> may be affected by lots of things you cannot see.
>

> --
>
> DaveA

Yes. I noticed this variability. I've been using the Totusoft Lan_Speedtest.exe
to test some modules. I've tested through the wifi to our intranet and saw
variations I believe do to network traffic. I also tried peer to peer and the
write time actual got worse. I don't know if it has do to with the firewall or
the hard drive speed or just Windows giving this process low priority. I also
saw drop outs. So figuring out the metric for pass/fail will be interesting.
I'll check into setting an ftp for this test.

Thanks