Ibad Kureshi U0850037 <u0850...@hud.ac.uk> writes:

> I am bit new to python and am struggling to install NumPy and SciPy on to
> Python 2.7. Based on my understanding I believe that the problem is with my
> Python install rather than the way I am installing NumPy. I have seen only
> two other threads that deal with this issue but both threads just end with no
> solutions.
>
> I am on a CENTOS 5.8 system. With python 2.7 installed from source in a self
> contained folder. I am using environment modules to manage the different
> versions of python.
>
> When I invoke the NumPy installer I get the following:
>

> python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu95
> Running from numpy source directory.ERROR:root:code for hash md5 was not
> found.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/apps/libs/python/2.7.3/lib/python2.7/hashlib.py", line 139, in
> <module>

This likely indicates some problem with "openssl" support:
on some platforms, "hashlib" delegates to the "openssl" libraries.

As a first step, I would verify that the "openssl" development
package (on OS, not Python level) is installed. If not, install it.
Then regenerate your local Python and check whether the problem
has disappeared.