On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2013-02-05, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> On 02/05/2013 01:39 PM, Neil Cerutti wrote:
>>> Python is an excellent option for writing shell scripts,
>>> particularly if your shell is cmd.exe.
>>
>> I believe having your shell be cmd.exe qualifies as a "good reason"!
>
> Except the OP said he wanted to pick a language for Linux.  If he has
> cmd.exe as his shell on Linux, then he's beyond help...

Python is not an "excellent option". It's a bad fit for shell
scripting, it just happens to be way better than a weak shell. Having
grown up on command.com, I found OS/2's cmd.exe to be a massive
improvement, and Windows's cmd.exe to be rather less impressive... but
both of them pale into insignificance compared to bash. OS/2 has a
better shell scripting language (REXX), but Windows doesn't, and
Python ain't it.

(Hmm. Google Chrome doesn't put its red squiggly lines under "ain't",
but it does complain about "virtualization". Seems to me something,
uhh, ain't right there.)

ChrisA