On 2/15/2013 6:06 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
In article <kfmdu8$iim$1...@ger.gmane.org>, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu>
wrote:
On 2/15/2013 5:53 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
On
all the other machines I have access to I'm seeing something similar to
this

Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

Notice the date again -- the original release date of 2.7.3.

FYI - the date is a build date; it doesn't tell you much about the
source code base used for that Python build.

If a build called 2.7.3 is built on the 2.7.3 release date, one may reasonably think that it is built from the 2.7.3 code released on that date. Besides which, I recognized that as the header from the PSF distributed build ;-). More problematical is any build, even of the same name, built later, by anyone else, as with Ubuntu releases.

> But if it had the hg rev used
for the checkout, you have some indication of what it contains.

My impression is that Ubuntu does not build from any of *our* hg revs, but that they cherry pick patches to apply in their repository. I agree that is they gave *their* repository url and checkout id, that would be helpful. We could possible do that with our releases too.

--
Terry Jan Reedy