On Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:35:31 AM UTC-8, Chris Rebert wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2013 1:21 AM, "llanitedave" <llani...@veawb.coop> wrote:
>

> > I created an html help page for my Python 2.7.3 application and put it in a
> > documentation folder.  I used webbrowser.open() to fetch the page.
>

> > On linux -- KDE specifically, the command opens the local file on my
> > default browser with no issues.  However, on Windows 7, it opens Internet
> > Explorer, which doesn't even search the local folder, but goes straight to
> > the web and does a Google search, returning nothing but useless noise.
>

> > My default browser on Windows is Chrome, so my intention is getting
> > undermined right from the start.
>

> > How do I get a local html file to open properly from Python in Windows?
>
> Sounds like this might be your problem:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue8936
>
> The fix would seem to be ensuring that the URL you pass includes the scheme
> (in your case, "file:").
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Holy Toledo!  That's a two-year-old bug spanning two versions of the language!

BTW, Chris, the snippet I showed in the title essentially WAS the exact code.
It's a method with that single line called from a wxPython Help menu.  I can't
really put an absolute pathname into the argument, because the application is
going to be distributed to a variety of computers at my workplace, and there's
no assurance that it will go into (or remain in)a particular folder.

I was trying to avoid using the wx.html.HtmlWindow feature of wxPython, because
it doesn't handle CSS and styles.  My help page is the portal to a multi-page
users guide with a style sheet to render all the content consistently.

Plus, I couldn't get the wx.html.HtmlWindow to open relative paths either -- it
gave me "URL Malformed" messages even in KDE, when webbrowser.open("filepath")
was working for the exact same path.  But that's something to take up on the
wxPython list, I guess.

This to me illustrates the downside of the Python philosophy of "There should
be only one obvious way to do things".  If that one obvious way has a fatal
bug, you're pretty much SOL.