On 2013-03-04 10:37, yomnasala...@gmail.com wrote:
I have a problem with encoding in python 27 shell.

when i write this in the python shell:

w=u'العربى'

It gives me the following error:

Unsupported characters in input

any help?
Maybe it is not Python related. Did you get an exception? Can you send a full traceback? I suspect that the error comes from your terminal, and not Python. Please make sure that your terminal supports UTF-8 encoding. Alternatively, try creating a file with this content:

# -*- encoding: UTF-8 -*-
w=u'العربى'

Save it as UTF-8 encoded file "test.py" (with an UTF-8 compatible editor, for example Geany) and run it as a command:

python test.py

If it works then it is sure that the problem is with your terminal. It will be an OS limitation, not Python's limitation.

Best,

   Laszlo