On 3/13/2013 7:43 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:49 AM, rusi <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:

This assumes that there are only three choices:
- narrow build that is buggy (surrogate pairs for astral characters)
- wide build that is 4-fold space inefficient for wide variety of
common (ASCII) use-cases
- flexible string engine that chooses a small tradeoff of space
efficiency over time efficiency.

Wrong. Python almost certainly runs faster with the new string representation. This has been explained previously more than once.

There is a fourth choice: narrow build that chooses to be partial over
being buggy. ie when an astral character is encountered, an exception
is thrown rather than trying to fudge it into a 16-bit
representation.

This is what tcl/tk does, and it is a dammed nuisance. Completely unacceptible for Python's string type.
It's complexity cost, though, and people would need to know when it
would be worth giving Python that switch to change its string format.
Plus, every C extension would need to cope with both formats. I
personally doubt it'd be worth it, but if you want to knock together a
patched CPython and get some timing stats, I'm sure this list or
python-dev will be happy to discuss the matter. :)

I presume the smiley indicates that you know that python developers are too busy with real problems to have any interest in bogus solutions to bogus problems.

--
Terry Jan Reedy