On 03/14/2013 04:12 PM, ch.valdera...@gmail.com wrote:

Taking a wild guess, I think that you are using a Samba share on a Linux

server. A file "FILENAME.xml;" was accidentally creating on this share

from the Linux filesystem layer, since Linux will allow you to use

semicolons in file names. But samba enforces the same restrictions as

Windows, so when you access the file system through sambda, it gives an

error when you try to create a new file "FILENAME.sub;".

This is a wild guess, and could be completely wrong. Please come back and

tell us the solution when you have solved it.

So, let me report the solution.
All the files were in an afs filesystem. afs has a limit for the total length
of  the filenames per directory. for more details take a look at
http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/systems/AFS/topten.html#Tip13
In my case 10k files with ~160characters per filename were just hitting the
limit. The error message is basically misleading.

Makis

Aha!  So the file that was too large was the directory file.

--
DaveA