On 3/18/2013 5:17 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
Hi,

I don't quite understand how -m option is used. And it is difficult to
search for -m in google. Could anybody provide me with an example on
how to use this option?

python -m test
at a command line runs the regression tests in the test package
python -m test -v test_difflib
runs test.test_difflib in verbose mode.

These are alternatives to
python <path-to-test> ...
Python just searches for module itself, same as for import, but executes it as main module instead of importing.

This is really handy for developers running tests, where path-to-test is not only a nuisance to type, but different for development builds than for installations, and of course, different for each version. Let python find the /Lib corresponding to the executable.

I am not sure if it works for things outside /Lib

--
Terry Jan Reedy